Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Random (aka Mega Ran) "TOUR: Date With a Dream"



I always think it is cool when an artist decide to release a special tour album that is only available if you go to a show, especially if I am able to make said show. Normally the album is some remixes of some hits or an acoustic version, and maybe one or two new songs. Well, Random, decided to do something like this but one up the standard tour only album. For one thing, it is available to those who order a ticket or if you donate to help the tour, so even if you cannot make it to one of the performances you can still get the exclusive album. But what really makes this stand out is the fact that only one of the tracks is not brand new song, "Jeremy Lin" but not no version has been available on an album and this version, the Lost Deuce remix is exclusive to this album. As I am sure you can tell from this introduction, I thoroughly enjoy the album, but what exactly is it about and what are the songs. I guess I should tell you that now, so here it goes.

The album begins with a great blues vocal snippet from "I've Got a Date with Dream" (hence the album title) before Random prepares for his journey (aka the tour.) One of the things that always comes through in Random's music is he is often surprised at the fact that people want to listen to his music (mentions this on other tracks on the EP as well) and "to all my fans, supporters and such, for all your kind words, I thank you so much, for every cheer, and Facebook like, you are the reason, I grab this mic." What this track does very well, is set the scene for the album. Fair warning, expect the beat to get lodge into your head, in fact, expect the entire project to refuse to leave you alone.

As to be expected by an album entitled "TOUR: Date With a Dream" there are a few songs about touring and being on the road. The first of such tracks features Lefty and is entitled "Area Codes." Yes, you do know this beat very well. But instead of having girls in different area codes, Random and Lefty have shows. Ok so the hook isn't that original, but it is a fun track. The two give a list of some of their favorite places to perform and give a few of the standard dilemmas encountered when they tour.

The road theme continues on "Heaven" where Random announces, "the studio is my church, but heaven is the road." The main topic of the track is the musicians conundrum, "half the time I am here, I wish that I was gone, then I get gone, I wish that I was home." But where as often a track like this is a woe is me story, Random stays positive throughout, telling stories of Waffle House breakfasts and random fan encounters (pun entitled.)

Two other members of the Writer Guild and fellow Phoenix MCs, MC Pennywise and RoQY TyRaiD, join Random on "The Town," as they go after the local scene and "the fans of real music in this city's not practical, laughing at you rappers trying to do it for the city, because the city never loved you and the scene is too gritty." Even as Random states, "might never be accepted in my hometown" (either Philly or Phoenix) and "a blogger said he never heard of me" he responds with a line that shows running the local scene isn't really that important, "heard about it when I was reading fan mail from Germany." Now, I am going to apologize for the rant I am about to go on, but stuff like this happens far too often. Why are very talented artists force to leave their local area to gain acceptance, whether it is their hometown or even country. It happens with hip hop artists and jazz artists, and then people get upset when they do not support their local area. To cut this rant short, support your local musicians.

The TSA is the center of attention on "TSA (Transportation Sexual Assault,)" and as you would expect from the title, it is not exactly a loving song. Random has some VERY dope lines on this track, ranging from rather humorous "if you're going to touch me like that, at least take my ten digits and give me a call tomorrow," and "my Jordans cost too much to consider putting a bomb in these," to those highlighting racial profiling "my name is not Muslim, its Arabic." The track ends with a rant by a comedian (who I think is Penn Juliet) where he attacks the TSA with the line"yes I would like to fly, here take my rights."

Jermiside makes a guest appearance on "Casualties of Tour" where the two tell some their touring horror stories. Jermiside talks about his first out of state gig "passing through towns where not he low they're thinking of lynching us" and "on the first stop got prepositioned by a runaway" but at the end "still we killed the crowd, they was needing a hospice." Random's story is one that taught him some very important lessons. Make sure the promotor actually answers their phone, and get an advance. Of course, he tells the story much better than that, and then ends it with some faux phone messages from a promoter as Random gains popularity and the lizard like tendencies of some people.

The highlight of the album for me is the track called "Awakening." It is one of those inspirational songs that at the same time makes you angry. He is able to sum up the feelings of many quality MCs (and really all artists in general" with the lines:
These critics judge me on the revenue I generate, it seems the only way to blow is to imitate, I wanna innovate and stimulate minds, travel the universe, penetrate time, hurts when your worth is defined by your purchase, worse is walking the earth without a purpose
Those lines alone, make the song incredible. But he does not stop there, honestly, it sounds like an artist on the verge of a major break through, getting ready to do something extra special.

What might end up being Random's most well known song (I mean it was on Sportscenter,) "Jeremy Lin" gets remixed by Lost Deuce. You probably can guess what this track is about. As usual, Random does a great job of capturing the story of the subject and Lost Duece, does one hell of a remix. I do not know what else to say about it because I assume you have heard the original already. If not, check it out here.

The last full length song on "TOUR" is "Respite," which shows a rather annoyed but at the same time positive Random some of the negative consequences of being a hip hop artist, but even with the negatives he finds the silver lining. As the chorus says, "Life is what you make of it, what you give to it, and also what take from it." There is a transformation near the end of the track as he realizes his success and happiness has come once he realized that he should make the music he wants and not what the critics say should be made. The album closes with "Outro" which uses the same vocal snippet from "Intro" to conclude the project.

"TOUR: Date With A Dream" was created by Random as a thank you to his fans. Often when an artist creates something like this it is a single track or something that only die hard fans will really enjoy. But what Random did, was create a quality album that any fan of dope music will enjoy, whether they know Random or not. Once again, Random shows why he is one of my favorite MCs in the game (that is punny.) So make sure you go and get this album and support Random on his most recent tour and get yourself some great music in the process.

You can get the album by donating here or here.

No comments:

Post a Comment