Saturday, August 20, 2011

Black-Tokyo "Good Clean Filth Vol 1"



You ever listen to one of your favorite albums or songs and think what would a hip hop producer do with this track, how would they make this an instrumental song? For years (yes years) I have wondered that about many "avante garde" jazz albums, but the one that has stood out is Roscoe Mitchell's ground-breaking classic "Sound" (ground-breaking for the AACM, jazz music in general, but it is also the album that opened up my ears to all sorts of concepts that would have scared me not too long before.) I have even dropped subtle (and not so subtle) hints to numerous producers I know and haven't succeeded. Then a little over a week ago, Black-Tokyo sent out a call to his twitter followers asking for songs that they want to hear him flip into a beat. I quickly told him about my suggestion and waited to see what he said and what others would send as well. Let me tell you folks, Black-Tokyo did not disappoint and neither did those on twitter who offered Eddie Murphy, David Bowie, Seals and Croft and many others. Then Black-Tokyo flipped each and every one of them and
when he completed the album, he went the extra step of giving credit to those that offered up the song ideas, so take a listen to what he did with "Ornette (Alt Version)" and "The Little Suite" off of "Sound" below and then go to his bandcamp (link at the bottom as always) and check out the rest of "Good Clean Filth Vol 1" (while you're there look at his other releases as well.)



You can stream and download the album here

No comments:

Post a Comment