Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Jesse Abraham "The One Day EP"



What makes Jesse Abraham's "The One Day EP" different than the hundreds of thousands of hip hip albums out there? That is the question I was getting ready to answer when I sat down to listen to the album for the first time and, to be honest, on that first listen I was not that impressed (I was tired and was caught off guard by the sound...my fault). But then as I listened more closely (read: actually paid attention to the music) I noticed something; this album was very good and actually does separate itself from most hip hop out there. No, I don't mean because of Jesse Abraham being a Jewish MC that questions the concept of God or any of the stuff on the surface. It is the sound of the album, the ability to craft infectious songs with meaningful lyrics that reference a wide variety of subjects while carefully selecting what vocabulary to use. You find out rather quickly (the first track actually) that Jesse has a love for words, which becomes evident as the album goes on. In reality it is more than just his love of words, it is his love and search for knowledge that comes out in this album, but perhaps I am rambling about this. But it is a key aspect to this album...knowledge. Let me pass that knowledge on to you right now, here it goes.

"Spiderman on Vitamins" begins with what sounds like a distorted sitar before Spills adds some claps to the beat just as Jesse Abraham begins his first verse where he lets us know of his infatuation with words "I was home and ingesting,
No milk, just words." Then comes one of his incredibly catchy hooks that I guarantee will remain stuck in your head for a while

Eyes opened wide
But you can’t see me
If I was your guide
Still can’t see me
Might if you tried
No, you can’t see me
Leave your mind petrified
You can’t see me


Lyrically the hook is nothing special, it is a hook not meant to blow you a way just not leave your mind and that is what it does. It is also set up perfectly for a live show as a call and response. If I find out he doesn't perform this live I will be VERY disappointed because it is perfect for that atmosphere. He goes on to recall a grade school debate he had with his teacher about God before returning to the chorus and then adding on a minute plus of him speaking in what I can only describe as the annoying Eminem voice about what Spiderman on vitamins invented (really wish that part wasn't there but it is at the end so if need be you can skip it.)

With how effective Abraham is on creating hooks it is surprising Eric Sosa handles that area on "One Day," but the move pays off as Sosa offers more of a rock sound to the hook creating a more raw feel. While "Spiderman on Vitamins" is rather upbeat and a bit tongue in cheek humor, "One Day" is much more introspective as he tackles the balance of life and death. What stands out on the track is how Abraham switches up his speed and cadence to match the emotion he is spitting.

Speaking of spitting "I Wanna Hear Y'all" begins with Abraham saying "you know in New York, I tell people I spit they don't blink an eye, I go other places I say that, they're like you spit what." The track is Abraham's "I am a rapper" song, filled with incredible wordplay throughout, he address the stereotype he feels that he cannot be a rapper because he is white most obviously with the line "Graham was a cracker I’m more like Betty Crocker." But that is just a bit of what the track shows, it is more about answering the doubters by showing his skill and proving his point with his word choice and rhyme scheme.

The electronic piano based beat of "Connections" sets the stage for this rather uplifting song about all of us being connected to the human race, no matter how alone you may feel, remember we are all united, as Jeannette Berry sings on the hook "There may be moments when you feel alone, it's true." or as Jesse says on the bridge, "When we’re apart we’re still a part of each other." While the overall message is unity, Abraham reminds us to think for ourselves and do not be afraid to question the norm. It also features one of my favorite lines off the album which I think also captures Abraham very well "I don’t believe in a paradox, Some people imitate the same way a parrot talks, I come correct with more props than Carrot Top, I’m a triceratops, my nonsense never stops." That line shows a bit of his vocabulary, wordplay, humor, and overall idea of himself, plus any time you mention a dinosaur in a rap you get bonus points from me.

"Play On" tackles Abraham's view of love and his approach to it from the age of 10 through the present day. He does a great job of capturing just about all the emotions and stages of love, ranging from the cheerful lines of "I was Adam, she’s my rib cage" to the heartbreaking "Introduced my best friend to the love of my life, And then they started dating, and it fucked up my life For a minute became a bit of a cynic, Wasn’t in it to win it" and finally the brutally honest "An ignoramus, now I’m playin the field, I’m just playin a game, these girls playin for real, Maybe ain’t the way it should be just the way that I feel."

"Figure It Out" attempts to answer one rather big question...what is the meaning of life. Simple right? (42) In attempting to capture this song I tried to figure out just how to do it and simple quoting of the lines do not show how Abraham changes his delivery throughout the song for impact, best thing I can do is say to check this one out, easily one of the standout tracks on this EP. It is uplifting, meaningful, and will have you evaluating the way you live your life (if you actually listen to it and take the song to heart.)

After the heavy feelings of "Figure It Out," Abraham gives us "Written While Sittin' On a Hammock" which is more of a stream of conscious freestyle where each line plays off the other not really building on a common theme besides, hey I am sitting on a hammock and came up with this rhyme, check it out, a simple fun rap where Abraham can just show off his mind a bit without being too serious.

The funkiest/most club friendly track easily goes to "The Moment" produced by Trace Thomas featuring Spanish guitars, horns, drums and more, this will definitely get your head nodding. But don't think that Abraham just throws away his lyricism on this track with lines like "Flow emphatically, ecstatically, got a text from my ex i was glad to see, it ain’t a tragedy, factually we flourished, Morris less like Zachary, less is more" and the infectious hook "I be up on it, That’s how I like it, Grab the microphone and, that’s how I ride it, That’s how I write it, I write about the moment,
I’m on it, Yeeeaaahhhh"

The only competition for best club banger comes from "Ridiculous" which sounds like a Bollywood song meets an old school Dre beat. Abraham's lyrics match the club vision, but instead of the typical lets all get drunk and dance the night, he adds the repercussions of such a lifestyle:

so the next day you wake up, and the clock reads three
your reflection in the mirror makes a mockery
your face is rocking a crease
you think to yourself, “hey, yo, stop being weak”
you spent most of the night smoking broccoli, at least
humble is born, cocky’s deceased
cuffed up nights lead to gritty days
the city way of life is getting blazed
your life has become nothing more than a spoof
that’s replacing your youth with the face of a dude who is hasty and rude
now you’re burnt out
your girl’s concerned about your sperm count
drugs and beers by the dozen
hear my discussion of fearing and fussin
we are accustomed to see our disgusting actions, and we call it fashion
imagine, singin bout not being wasted
take this song, copy and paste it



The remix of "Life is A Free Throw" featuring Marquis Daniels ends this EP. Now I know I just did a long block quote before (partially because the final line is copy and paste it) but these lines are by far my favorite on this EP (references classic Greek literature, "The Simpsons," and shows off his vocabulary) so if you don't enjoy it then do not read it

You could see me writin poems at my home like I’m homer
Not Simpson, that’s a misnomer
Think I miss homework?
No sir
I’m Icarus, closer to the sun than most are
I don’t need a postmark on my letters
I don’t need a loan shark, lendin money to my creditors
Editing my editors
Sentencing the predators
Sentences and characters and references to senators
No Clay Davis
Thou shalt remain nameless
I stay gracious
Over plates I say graces
Your aim’s heinous
Shame on your playlist
Loquacious with statements I say that this



Each time I listen to "The One Day EP" I enjoy it more and more. Yes at first I wasn't a fan but then I paid attention and realized what I was missing, so please keep your ears open and pay attention to Jesse Abraham. Notice the word choice (read the lyrics if you need to,) the flow, the ability to craft solid songs and radio level infection hooks, take notice and enjoy the album.


You can stream and download the album here.

1 comment: