Sunday, March 27, 2011

J. Draughon "Worth The Price of Admission"



Quality music, isn't that what we as fans are looking for? No matter what genre or subgenre, we just want music that hits us. Not all musicians get that idea (at least not from what I've seen and heard) some are looking for the next big thing or trying to become famous, or beef with people. Others want to make music for fans and hopefully have some sort of impact on them (these are the majority) and J. Draughon is one such artist. This doesn't stem from one line in one song (more on this later) but it is pretty easy to see as you listen to this album, but I have already rambled on a lot in the intro and I know I will ramble some more later so let's get into the who, what, why and were (sometimes how,) so here it goes.

Imagine Buddy Rich drumming to save his life and you have the beginning to "The Audition." It appears the drummer lives as he is able to relax and keep the beat for the horns that join in just as J. Draughon enters the track. The title perfectly describes this track, it is J. Draughon's audition for your ears and with lines like "dominate the microphone, catch me in the booth and I'm home," he does enough to keep my headphones on. He actually does something for just about every fan of hip hop on this track, whether it is rhyming multisyllabic words, talking about the work he's put in, weed, or girls all while spitting over a jazz/funk beat. That captures the attention of most fans (of course doing so with quality and not going into any graphic detail.)

"I'm just trying to tell you how it's suppose to be, supposedly, I've been on some Oh My God shit like I'm playing with a rosary," these words plus some quality piano and drums kick off "Breakdown." Then comes the chorus, and what do you get "There was going to be some kind of hook but I said fuck it" instead we get to vibe to the beat and quality sample: an A+ move in my book, any vocals over top would've sounded off and a little forced.

The funky and soul filled beat of "Don't Wanna Lose" gets your head bobbing right away. The track is filled with many OHHH lines, not punchlines but solid similes and metaphors, by far my favorite of said lines is "I'm a problem like when animals break up out of the zoo" granted it might be because of the hours open hours of "Planet Earth" I've been watching lately, but it still caused me to crack a smile, mainly because I was imagining a great white shark rip a seal to shreds in a few seconds (I know sharks and zoos don't go together but that's what popped into my head.)

Since, there was no hook or chorus on "Breakdown" (besides the sample and that might count) the track "No Hook" might seem a bit odd, but J. Draughon and Ease use it as a way to point out that they can rap for lines and lines without any sort of crutch to fall back on. Meanwhile the electronic robot beat adds to the idea, because of course a rapping robot would have no trouble spitting for days and days (someone needs to get on that STAT.)

I've always been a fan of when a producer speeds up the sample to distort a familiar voice and sound, that is exactly what happens on "Mr. Sandman." J. Draughon uses the beat to speak on his views of sex (not going to lie not a fan of these sort of songs but he does so without going in to too much detail and does come away not looking like a sleaze, mainly because he is not glorifying it just says this is what he does) and near the end of the track adds the line "I'm asking all my women friends, am I wrong for acting out, even if I am these chicks will still be smashing out, why not take advantage," he knows some people may not agree with what he is doing and accepts that but offers his reasoning.

"Go In" might be the second song I've heard that features a kazoo (I think it is a kazoo; it has happened once or twice) so automatically it catches your attention. Actually the more I listen to it I think it might be a synth ("Geek Down" stands alone.) But enough about that, the synth is joined by some quality drums and other percussion to create a bumping beat. J. Draughon does a great job over a rather irregular beat as demonstrated by the beginning of the second verse "It's a damn shame how these lames took over the game, these motherfuckers so lame, music in my vein, let's keep it simple plain, I never made it rain."

What happens if someone likes your audition, well then you would get a call back, and that is exactly the name of the next track, "The Call Back." Synths, hand claps, and choir like voice, provide a great g-funk style beat as J. Draughon begins "Homey I've been killing as of recent, won't find me at the precinct, exposing how these corny rapping cats have been indecent." Where as "The Audition" was more of a touch base for everyone track, "The Call Back" is a straight out rap track with Draughon showing what he can, in short he is saying you can't touch me on the mic and shows us why.

Trev. B jumps on the mic on "This Is Me" (kind of weird to have someone else on a track called "This Is Me" I know but ignore that.) This is one of the craziest beats on the album, a bit electronica, a bit funk, a bit outer space. The explanation of the track is best summed up by the chorus "This is what I do, this is who I am, taking off now, there's no way I'm gonna land, I'm hoping for the best, expecting nothing less."

J. Draughon uses the piano and horn heavy beat for "Don't Even Like Me" to go after wack MCs. Whether it is through lines like "I don't be playing games, son, I just be slaying lanes" or "eat these little rappers shit em out after I digest" it is clear to see Draughon goes off on this track.

In case you weren't able to check some of the more subtle changes in his flow, J. Draughon switches it up dramatically on "Check Yourself." He substancially speeds up his flow to match the very quick hitting drums and horns, just when you begin to feel comfortable, the vocals drop out and are slowed down by the sample used as the chorus. The track keeps you on your toes throughout, making sure you are jolted each time J. Draughon comes back on the mic.

The final track "On the Top" features one of the most descriptive line I've heard in a while and it is nothing fancy, "really here's the truth to it, all I make is good music." Yes it might be kind of plain or whatever, but it captures what most musicians (hopefully all) are trying to achieve. I love the fact that he doesn't say I make good hip hop or good rap, just good music, and in the end that is all us fans really want too, good quality music. And that is what J. Draughon delivers on "Worth the Price of Admission," good music, both through the beats and the lyrics and to add a little something extra he gives us an album that actually has some structure to it, nothing spectacular concepty (I made a new word, GO ME) or anything like that but there is progression and thought into song order, etc. So, I recommend you click the link below, put on some headphones and see for yourself just how J. Draughon does in his audition for your time and your ears, you won't be disappointed.

Download the album here

No comments:

Post a Comment