Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dr. Khil "Khilgore Trout - A Beat Tape"



I am a fan of many things, but two of the biggest are music and literature and yes I do mean literature, high quality writing, not your dime a dozen books, I am what you may even call a book snob. If you want you could probably even call me a music snob as well, because, even though I try very hard to not let this happen, when people say how much they love a musician that I think is not very talented I judge that person as having bad taste and of course taste is very personal but that is a whole different discussion. My point is I love quality music and quality writing, rarely do the two actually converge (McSweeney's Issue 6 is the best example of the two meeting.) Another example is Dr. Khil's "Khilgore Trout - A Beat Tape," any fan of Kurt Vonnegut is well aware of the title's reference. In a great move, Dr. Khil decides to name each track after a famous literary character and even creates the feeling (to a point) of said character or novel from which the character lives. Perhaps I am rambling a bit too much already (but I NEVER do that.) I think I shall get right to the meat of the discussion in an effort to not make this the longest introduction paragraph ever, so here it goes.

The album begins with "Billy Pilgrim" the main character in Kurt Vonnegut's classic novel Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death. Dr. Khil uses a high pitched string instrument (mandolin???)and a faded guitar sound to create the feeling of being "unstuck in time" but before you get too comfortable in each time the drums (also feel like the bombs dropping on Dresden) come in to throw you into a different major event in the life of Mr. Pilgrim.

We then enter the world of Song of Solomon (one of two Toni Morrison novels I have not read yet and yes I am ashamed I haven't read it yet) through the track "Macon Dead III." The song begins with a pitch changed sample that catches the listener off guard with some xylophone played underneath. Then enter the hard hitting drums which you would assume to dominate the track but you would assume wrong. In a surprising turn of events, I found myself keeping beat morewith the xylphone than the drums. I always enjoy when an artist (no matter what kind) can turn convention on its head as Dr. Khil does on this track.

For reasons that I can only assume are to upset me, the great Ernet Hemingway is represented on this album not by The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, or The Old Man and the Sea, but instead by The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber with the track "Francis Macomber." But enough of my complaining let me tell you about this song (which is actually very good despite my annoyance.) Dr. Khil begins with drums over top of some great piano chords to create a rather cheerful and at the same time eerie (or depressing) feeling. Which fits the story of Francis Macomber quite well.

Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer" comes through with a rather laid back track featuring a rather well known sample (well known being a relative term) that has a great string work with some drums blended in to give you that little twist. After the chill feeling of "Tom Sawyer" Dr. Khil decides to take you on a trip with "Jay Gatsby" (possibly my favorite track on the album) a multilayered track where you are searching for what is suppose to be the lead instrument and what is just background (very similar to F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel.)

Now I shall plead ignorance on the novel of the next track "Hiro Protagonist" (from Snow Crash) but I can tell you imagine a beat driven by a distorted organ and bass drum. Once you do that add some snares to the equation and you have the sound of this very sci-fi track. To combat the sci-fi feeling, Dr. Khil brings us back to the roots of nature for the sound of "Chief Bromden" (the main character from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.) A chorus of voices (also used to show the Chief's schizophrenia) repeat throughout with drums (that almost sound like tribal rhythms) playing over top. At the end the track fades and distorts brilliantly to give the feeling of electroshock therapy.

"Oliver Twist" is a rather straight forward beat featuring a beautiful piano and drums. It is a very relaxed, almost simple sound but executed very well. In contrast, "Frodo Baggins" is in no way laid back or simple. Instead it brings four different synthesized rhythms weaving in and out of one another (similar to J.R.R. Tolkien's writing.) While it may be complex it still has a feel of constantly moving forward to some sort of destination.

La Tumba (a story I have not heard of but is now on my list) provides the inspiration for "Gabriel Guia." Spanish guitars, bass drums, and what I can only describe is hooting provide the sound scape of this rather funky beat. The horns and chimes that start off "Sherlock Holmes" give it an old chase movie feeling and that is before the drums come in to hit the listener in the ear. What really stands out to me about this song is the occasional fading and twist of the horns before they pick right back up and go through my headphones, adding to the chase feeling.

One of, if not the most "soulful" tracks of the album goes to "Tom Joad" from Grapes of Wrath . The piano is the key to this "Tom Joad" to the point that I could easily listen to just that instrument, but Dr. Khil gives it a bit more hit with some drums and further adds to it with two other effects that I can only describes as an extended strum of the guitar and electronic rain drops.

"Walter Kovacs" is hands down the darkest beat on this album, even with the blaring trumpet. I cannot get the image of Rorschach walking through the rain and then brutalizing some heathens out of my head when I hear this track. The reason is not the drums or the blaring trumpet, its the use of the toned down other trumpet that does it, gives you that feeling that though it might be a bit dark and twisted it still comes from a good place deep within.

The feeling of the Old West is created by Dr. Khil on "Alan Quatermain" (created by author H. Rider Haggard) with a piano (or possibly two) and Western guitar. This track could easily be playing at any ol' time saloon and it would fit in perfectly. Another of the standout tracks (they're all quality but you know what I mean) is "Robin Hood." The bass drum and clap provide a great rhythm that comes off as a great funk sound, while the piano pulls you in more of a bebop. The result is a compelling beat that will stick with you for a while, especially the wonderful piano rolls that are exhibited almost in a solo format.

Just so that we do not feel to upbeat, Dr. Khil introduces us to "Willy Loman" (of Death of a Salesmen fame.) It feels like the entire track has been slowed down from the drums, and piano to the horns. I cannot move from this spot, the beat pulls me down and no matter how hard I fight I am going nowhere but down. In other words, a near perfect representation of the classic Arthur Miller play.

"Khilgore Trout" ends with "Anne Collin-Nielsen" another of my favorite tracks. It captures a bit of the complexity of What Dreams May Come but focuses much more on the upbeat and jovial feeling of the end of the movie (since it is the end of the album.) I imagine driving in my car with the windows down listening to this LA funk inspired track, with its finger snaps, heavy bass, great string work, and electronic drums.

I am once again impressed by how producers are creating more and more "beat tapes" that work so well as albums by creating some sort of unifying concept that runs throughout the whole project. What Dr. Khil did with "Khilgore Trout" is something I never really thought I would see, a hip hop concept album based on great works of literature. This is actually something I had discussed over a year ago on twitter and everyone was afraid to touch the idea (granted I also wanted MCs to take the role of said character) but damn, always glad to know I am not the only one out there who has these sort of ideas. So I take my hat off to Dr. Khil for a well put together album with 17 great beats all tied together by the wonder that is quality literature. So do yourself a favor and download "Khilgore Trout," if you have not read one of the stories referenced, why not read it with said track playing on repeat in the background. Let us unite the world of hip hop and literature because great art compliments great art.

Download "Khilgore Trout" for free here

No comments:

Post a Comment