Wednesday, January 26, 2011

JC Poppe "Shadowlands"


It seems every MC states how "personal" and "introspective" their new album is or will be. JC Poppe "Shadowlands" album is no different, except for one small detail, it actually IS incredibly personal and introspective. What a refreshing idea: have your album actual deliver what the press release says it will.

By this point, readers (and artists) are trying to figure out just how did JC Poppe deliver on such an oft-broken promise? The answer is both simple and complicated; he spoke from his heart.
Let's take a closer look at the tracks to get a better understanding of the depth of this album, the album opener "Last Will and Testament," gives you a quick run down of who JC Poppe is: MC from Milwakuee (had to leave his beloved city for the betterment of his family), whose label "outgrew" him, father, husband, who needs to pour out his soul on this album because "this may be my final breath, my last will and testament if my career meets its death." It is not just his words that convey this message; Poppe's delivery hits you with a sense of urgency, anger and frustration, mixed with hope and confidence.

"Amatures" brings you back to the beginnings of JC Poppe's recording career in 2004. The track details his mistakes and successes throughout his career, laced with a soulful beat that reminds us that he was an "amateur" at the time. The title track "Shadowlands" details the difficult decision of leaving his home city of Milwaukee for a better place to raise his soon to be born child.

JC Poppe offers a glimpse of the real "rap life" with both "Live My Life" and "Broke Rappin." The first verse of "Live My Life" informs the listener of two things an MC must deal with: feeling like too many people have damaged what is "hip hop" and knowing you will routinely be made to prove to others you have skills by battling random people in the streets. But these annoyances shall not deter JC Poppe "at the end of the day, I'm always going to be me: a married man and a father and a supreme MC." The track ends with what might be considered an intro to "Broke Rappin" a skit that is "a series of phone calls that may or may not have taken place between me, JC Poppe. and US Express." As you can probably guess "Broke Rappin" is JC Poppe's "starving artist" song and he does it very well and at the same time thanks his wife for supporting him and his pursuit of making the music he loves.

JC Poppe gives us an encouraging song with "Foundation of A Moment." Letting the listener know that it could be much worse, and we should be who we are and in the end we will get what we work for and don't let anyone stand in your way,"my movement is for you to embrace whatevers inside so you can just do you." The final verse shows an MC defending his craft as an art form and not a fad that is fading any time in the future.

"Shadowlands" then takes a trip to the darker side of human nature with "Concept of Reality" where we are go on a trip through the mind of someone suffering deep bouts of depression and I will not try to capture this because the picture is painted by the lyrics, tone, and beats of this song but I will gladly share the final line "then my son smiles and my love for life comes back."

The idea of recovery is tackled in the aptly named "Path to Recovery," what is JC Poppe recovering from, well I have my ideas and what not but on this one I say listen for yourself because I have a feeling it will change for different people, whether this was the intent or not, each time I listen I find something else it could be, so enjoy and decide for yourself.

For people who complain that there are no love songs in hip hop or that it is all guns and what not (very few reading my blog I'm sure but hey) check out "What I Am" where JC Poppe gives thanks and explains his love for his wife (and being a husband) and his son (and being a father) all in all, how life changes when you become a husband and father (for the better).
"You could call this fluff or say I got it wrong but then you're not the type who would ever get this song, this here is for the men that are holding down a fam and not letting society dictate to them, forget all the players, haters and deadbeats, this here is for the love and greatness of family"
I have occasionally talked about "dadbag hip hop" and this belongs right up there with Brother Ali's "Faheem" of what I mean when I talk about it.

The album concludes with what I can only call the EPIC "Wife Song" which details the events that took place shortly after the birth of JC Poppe's first song when his wife suffers a pulmonary embolism...listen to this song NOW

JC Poppe: Wife Song by djjazzpants

MCs take notes and listen to this album, this is how you make a "personal" and "introspective." With "Shadowlands," JC Poppe does what so many artist try and fail to do, create an album that is heartfelt, emotional, and remain pure to the artist and the art form; this album is certainly hip hop, whatever you feel that means.

You can stream and download the whole album from bandcamp or buy the CD here (also contains JC Poppe's album "Tea Party" which shall be reviewed tomorrow)

1 comment: